Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Social Studies & Drama




Monday I taught my first Social STudies lesson which went very well. For the first 1st-5th periods of the day I teach all 5 of the 6th grade classes. Every period a new class would rotate in and I would teach the same lesson however the lesson would always have to be modified based on the students English proficiency level. Together we filled out a KWL chart ( What you KNOW, what you WANT to know, what you've LEARNED) The children were not familiar with this particular graphic organizer so it took me some time to explain to them what the graph entailed. I showed the students a PowerPoint presentation on the state of Missouri. It mainly included pictures and quick facts. I did not want to make it too long or too detailed because of the next step of the lesson. Finally at the end the student were instructed to follow the link that took them to a website for Missouri kids. The website was very easy for them to do their research and have fun facts for kids. In the end we ran out of time so the students were asked to present their facts to the class next Monday.


Today we had our first Drama club meeting. The students are all 6th graders from all 5 of the classes. Elaine and I will be co-teaching this class together because it is so informal. The children will be putting on a play in the end of May about American Holidays. They will be singing, dancing, acting and even playing instruments. The students signed up for speaking parts and instrument parts today. We will be focusing on 4th of July, Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years. This class will be one I look forward to teaching all week because it has been very laid back compared to the other classes we have to teach.

No comments: