Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Short Week

This week was a short week at the school due to the student’s field trip to English Village. Monday I taught a Social Studies lesson to the 6th graders about World flags. These students never seize to amaze me, every time I think something is going to be too hard for them they fly through it and every time I’m afraid I made something to easy they struggle. Everyday is a learning experience and I can predict absolutely nothing about these kids. Anyway the lesson was about world flags and I made a PowerPoint presentation that had the flags, then the name of the country on the following slide. I showed them 15 flags, I included easy give away one’s such as U.S.A. and South Korea. However I also included more challenging flags like Egypt and India, to my surprise 2 out of my 5 classes got every single flag right! I didn’t even know 10 of the 15 in my presentation. It was very surprising, I’m curious as to how a 5th or 6th grade class back in the states would do on my flag quiz.
Also this week I taught 1st grade Storytelling, this is by far my favorite class I teach here at Jamhyun. Every time I’m in that room it makes me wish that I would of gotten a lower grade. The students are so tiny and cute, I’m very impressed with how well they all speak English. I think that all of the students in the school know English but when their younger they are more eager to use it and as they grow up that fades away.
Also I decided that while I was in Asia I was going to use this as an opportunity to travel. I’m going to visit my brother in Japan at the end of this week, he lives in Yokohama. I will be taking a much needed break from my life here in Seoul.

No comments: